Monday, January 5, 2009

REX NELON


Rex Nelon

The Last of the Great Southern Gentlemen

January 19, 1932January 23, 2000


A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches

and loving favor rather than silver and gold.

Proverbs 22:1


Rex Nelon loved music as a boy growing up in North Carolina. At age 14 he competed in a singing contest, winning a pair of shoes! Future music lessons taught him to read shaped note music and began to develop his ear for singing bass. After serving in the Marine Corps he began his professional singing career in the 1950’s, singing with the Homeland Harmony Quartet, and then for almost 20 years with the LeFevers. The group later became known as the Rex Nelon Singers which was soon shortened to The Nelons. Rex mentored many young singers in the gospel music industry, including his daughter Kelly Nelon.


Apart from being one of the most respected names in Gospel music, Rex was known as a kind caring friend who loved his family and his “adopted family” – the groups he sang with. One friend who wrote for a gospel music newspaper often called Rex for information. This friend called Rex’s office so often that whenever his calls were passed on to Rex, he would pick up the phone and say “411 information, how can I help you?” knowing his friend usually needed information for his writing. He loved to make people laugh, and was known to be a great practical joker.


His love for the classic convention songs and his desire to preserve them for future generations prompted Rex to purchase song companies who held the copy rights to many of the old songs he felt should live on, including: “Oh What A Savior”, The Night Before Easter” and Vep Ellis’s “The Love of God.” Whenever you hear one of these old classics, think of Rex Nelon who loved this music and had the foresight to preserve it for futures generations. After retiring from full time singing, Rex became a regular member of Bill Gaither’s “Homecoming Friends” concerts and videos. These shows are where we first heard and saw him sing; an older gentleman with snow white hair, a low voice, and a ready smile. Jake Hess once called Rex Nelon “The last of the great southern gentlemen.” How right he was!

- Alyssa W


Rex and Judy Nelon

“I was fortunate enough to be the LeFevre's lead singer when Rex got saved. Rex had purchased the group just before he hired me, so he was my boss. It was the 3rd week of January, 1976; I had been with the group for a few years; and we were singing for a week long revival at The People's Church in Brampton, Ontario, Canada; just outside Toronto. Chuck Milhuff was the guest evangelist.
It was either our third or fourth night there, and as was our custom, the ladies were in the hotel, and the men were sleeping on the bus. Rex was restless, and he went inside the hotel and was gone for a couple of hours. When he came back out, he was grinning from ear to ear, and just couldn't hold it in. He told us that Chuck had led him to Christ! Needless to say, we didn't get a lot of sleep that night, but that was of little consequence. The next night we "sang the house down."

Admittedly, there was some surprise when Rex got saved. All we had seen out of him was that he "walked" a very good daily life; but Rex had realized that there was more to salvation than that. From that day forward his life showed the change. He truly became a man who walked with God.”

- Ron Hutchins January 24, 2000


The following video clip shows Mr. Nelon singing I'D DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. (The young lady in the black dress with the amazing lace collar is his daughter Kelly.) :)




I'D DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN
By Jerry Thompson

If I had to start over and relive my life
There's nothing that I'd like to change
I've started with Jesus and with Him I'd stand
I'd do it all over again

Chorus
I'd do it all over again
I'd walk on with Jesus 'till my journey's end
I'd never give up living for Him for what the world's giving
I'd do it all over again

This life's had it's heartaches and I've had my share
But never too much to give in
And you ask me if trials are worth all the pain
Still I'd do it all over again

Chorus

I'd never give up living for Him for what the world's giving
I'd do it all over again


~ posted by Alyssa~

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails