Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Way Back When-sday


This is a Madras plaid day dress from the late 1850s. I really like the elegant simplicity of this dress and the two sets of ruffles on the sleeves.



Back view...


Detail of the bodice back.

~Alyssa

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, Alyssa, I LOVE this dress! But, boy, would you have to have a TINY waist to look good in it! This is really something, when you think that they sewed it by hand.
Faithfully-yours,
Mrs. G
P.S. I also wanted to comment on your Jessie Wilcox Smith picture! She is my absolute favorite illustrator and I have picked up her children's books whenever possible. Kelsey just found one this past week. Can you tell me where you found this picture to copy? Thanks!

the W. family said...

Thank you for your comment Mrs. G.! Yes, I've always marveled at the lovely dresses ladies had years ago when they sewed them by hand. Of course I suppose they only had two or three dresses...

I love Jessie Willcox Smith's illustrations too! If you click on the picture it will take you to the place where I found them, (and where prints of her paintings can be ordered).

Love,
Alyssa

Melanie said...

THAT is a BEAUTIFUL dress!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails