Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Thoughts on Emma '09 ... A Review...

A note to the reader: If you haven't seen this film yet, you might want to skip this posting since it gives away some of the story!


Mr. Elton and Harriet Smith
It looks like he is saying "That is a very good...tree." ;)

(If you haven't seen it yet and would like to, all the episodes are now on YouTube HERE.)
  • Director -Jim O'Hanlon
  • Producer -George Ormond
  • Writer -Sandy Welch


  • Mr. Knightly's garden

    I've been thinking about this film and analyzing my thoughts on it since we watched the last episode on Tuesday. I really wish I could watch it again, on DVD this time, and see it all at once; I think that would help me! But here are my thoughts so far, after just one viewing that was broken into 4 episodes!


    Miss Taylor/Mrs. Weston

    - General Thoughts -

    I liked how they showed the 3 orphaned children -Emma Woodhouse, Jane Fairfax, and Frank Churchill, at the beginning of the film and wove the 3 threads through the story in the dialogue and a few flashbacks. That was very well done! Near the end, Emma tells her father how thankful she is that he didn't send her and her sister away when their mother died as did Frank's father and Jane's relatives. :)

    I'm not sure why they felt the need to modernize some of Jane Austen's original dialogue. This was puzzling but wasn't too bad. However, there was something about the more modern dialogue and mannerisms of this film that made me see the story of Emma a little differently. (It was as if she could be someone here and now instead of just someone living way back in history.) It made me think how easy it would be to act like her; selfish, silly, and prideful; thinking I know more than others.

    "Do not be wise in your own opinion.."
    Romans 12:16b


    Mr. Knightly

    Mr. Knightly, on the other hand, was an excellent example of a true friend and gentleman; loyal, kind, and unselfish. I think they brought that out well in this adaptation of Emma. By the end of Episode 3 I was actually feeling bad for him that he would end up with Emma! Thankfully in the 4th episode, she listened to correction and tried to change her ways. It reminded me of the importance of accepting correction from those close to me, and having a humble heart.
    "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil."
    Proverbs 3:7



    Emma (Romola Garai) and Mr. Knightly (Johnny Lee Miller)

    -Mr. Knightly and Emma-
    At first I was not too sure about the actor that was cast for Mr. Knightly. He reminded me so much of Kirk Cameron (who was in the recent film Fireproof) that it took a while for me to think of him as Mr. Knightly. But once I got over that, I thought he was excellent for the part! Romola was a very good pick for Emma, although I thought she portrayed her as a little too immature sometimes, in my opinion. But perhaps that is what the director wanted.

    - A Few Thoughts on the Rest of the Cast -
    Just my opinions. :)


    Miss Bates
    I liked them all with the exception of Miss Bates. She didn't have that funny-without-knowing-she-was way about her. The way she was portrayed in the Gwyneth Paltrow version is still my favorite.


    Mr.E.

    I will agree with Mr. Knightly in saying that Mr. Elton was "So full of himself it's a wonder he can stay on his horse". This same actor (Blake Ritson) was Edmond Bertram in the new Mansfield Park, so it was a little strange to see him as a conceited Mr. Elton. He was actually somewhat funny, in an odd sort of way!

    This Harriet was much better than in either of the other Emma films I've seen. She was much more likable.

    The story line of Harriet and Mr. Martin was pretty skimpy though. Unless there was something cut out that will be in the final DVD, it could be a little confusing if a person doesn't remember him from earlier in the film. (Or if they haven't read the book.)



    Emma wearing one of her many salmon colored dresses with a chemisette.

    -The Clothing-
    I really appreciated the frequent use of chemisettes to fill in the low necklines of some of the dresses. Emma also often wore a blouse and jumper, something I've not seen much of in an Austen film. She had some lovely print dresses too. Jane Fairfax had a few very pretty blue dresses...she often wore blue...


    -The Picnic-
    Well, the picnic at Box Hill was a 'success' at showing what a failure it was for everyone! I really didn't care for how Frank and Emma were carrying on, although it actually follows the book very closely, (except for Frank laying his head on Emma's lap - that is nowhere in the book!). Poor Jane. Thankfully, when the secret of her and Frank's engagement is finally able to be told, Frank apologizes for his inappropriate behavior, and in the end he and Jane are happy together at last.Whew.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



    - In Conclusion -
    I like the fact that, once Emma realizes her mistakes and the harm she had done, she repents and tries to mend things as much as she can. And, as I said before, Mr. Knightly is a wonderful example of a true and faithful friend.
    "He who rebukes a man will find more favor afterward than he who flatters with the tongue."
    Proverbs 28:23

    I suppose when I see this film again, I might have more and/or different thoughts....we shall see. But for now, of the three different versions of Emma that I have watched, I like this one the most; and it inspired me to reread the book! :)

    If you've watched this film, I would really love to hear what you thought of it!
    Please leave a comment! :)

    ~Alyssa


    Edited Saturday the 31st of October...
    We watched Emma again (on YouTube this time) and here are a few further thoughts.
    The music was lovely! I do hope they make a soundtrack.
    I think it's still my favorite of the three versions of Emma we've watched, although there were these two things that puzzled me:

    I really wish Emma had actually apologized to Miss Bates. After Mr. Knightly's admonishing her for her rude comment at the Box Hill picnic she goes to visit Miss Bates and is very kind to her and everything, but no words of apology are heard.

    Why did Mr Knightly say "I will obey you" when Emma tells him not to say too much, or commit himself too much etc.?? I thought that was very odd.

    What do you think?


    Otherwise, I like it. :)

    ~Alyssa

    9 comments:

    Melanie said...

    WONDERFUL review, Alyssa!! Especially the Scripture verses!

    I agree with all your thoughts on the whole thing! :-)

    BTW, I thought it was funny that Jonny Lee Miller reminded you of Kirk Cameron as well! He looks/acts like a British, lighter-haired Kirk Cameron. :-)

    My thoughts are at http://hooks-and-needles.blogspot.com. :-)

    the W. family said...

    Oh, Melanie I didn't realize that was your blog! I was on it the other day and left a comment about your review!! (Which was excellent BTW!)

    Blessings,
    Alyssa :)

    Gaby said...

    I loved your review! Especially the scripture passages! They fit so well with the story!

    That is so funny about Jonny Lee Miller and Kirk Cameron! They DO look a lot alike! :D

    ~Gabrielle (AnneGirl on the S&S forum)

    Tiffany said...

    I did not really like the older version of BBC's Emma I cannot stand how selfish and proud she is!
    [Absoulutely NO offense!] I did like this one a lot better
    [I havn't seen all of it though.]

    You are so right that Mr. Knightly looks like Kirk Cameron!
    I really like how you added scripture verses!

    I really like Romola she is so pretty although I agree with you that they portrayed her very immature!
    Thanks for sharing your thought!

    Love in Christ,
    Tiffany

    Anonymous said...

    Hello!

    My name is Rebekah - I'm "The Lord's Daughter" on the S&S forum. I really enjoy your blog! :)

    I really liked the new "Emma" ... In some ways I thought it was the best yet - but I need to read the book one of these days, so that I can be a proper judge - it's the only one of Miss Austen's major works that I have never read! A great review by the way! I loved how you incorporated the scripture verses.

    To the KING be all the glory!
    Rebekah

    Blog: http://www.donotgrowweary.com/blog

    "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

    Anonymous said...

    P.S. The blog I signed in with is no longer in use - the link to the blog I share with my mother and sister is beneath my name - I had to sign into the other to be able to comment - just so no one gets confused! :)

    To the KING be all the glory!
    Rebekah

    Blog: http://www.donotgrowweary.com/blog

    "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

    the W. family said...

    Thank you ALL for your comments! I love hearing what others think. :)

    Gabrielle - thank you!

    Tiffany - I hope you will be able to finish the movie. :)

    Rebekah - You should read Emma when you get a chance, its quite good! This film really follows the book, which, after all, is what it's supposed to do! I've been impressed!

    Blessings,
    Alyssa

    Melanie said...

    Alyssa,

    Yes, I have two accounts... this one for my personal blog and family blog, and the "Elinor Dashwood" one for Hooks and Needles. :-)

    I agree about Emma's not actually apologizing to Miss Bates... I kept waiting for her to say something and she never did. :-S

    ~Melanie

    Wendy said...

    Well, we (Kelsey and I) have finally seen this version of Emma! We watched it on YouTube this week. I liked it, and I very much liked your comments, Alyssa! But I felt that they made this character of Emma too immature, and modern. I wish they would not change the superb writing of Jane Austen. I will always love the Gwyneth Paltrow version best, I think, perhaps because it was the first I saw. I felt that Emma's faults were due to immaturity, not that her heart was bad, and so, as she matured throughout the movie, she lost some of her objectionability. I did not like the comments prior to the showing of the film on the PBS site, which were so insulting to "Emma", as Jane Austen has written her. I *like* Emma! I also did not think that this film's Miss Bates could possibly follow in the first Miss Bates' footsteps--who could? Thank you for a wonderful review, Alyssa. We could sit and talk over this film for hours, I am sure. It is such a fun film.
    Mrs. G

    Related Posts with Thumbnails