Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Way Back When-sday

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances.  We carry the seeds of the one or the other about with us in our minds, wherever we go." 
~  Martha Washington

2 comments:

Rebecca Ann said...

I love this quote! I have been pondering and memorizing lots of verses lately about being happy and being content in whatever situation. We should rejoice always and be joyful because of the Lord dieing for us and being raised again and now we have His Spirit to guide us. Sometimes I forget this and Martha obviously understood that being happy in whatever circumstance cannot be done by our own power.

I love reading your blog Alyssa although I do not comment often. This post really caught my attention as I am studying the founding fathers. It was great to read a quote from one of the first ladies as well.

In Christ,
rebecca

the W. family said...

You really brightened my day Rebecca, thank you!

This quote reminds me of this verse: "For I have learned in whatever state I am to be content." That is what I want to be able to say. It's so easy to be looking ahead to coming events etc. and miss being happy right where we are.

Blessings!
Alyssa

Related Posts with Thumbnails