Monday, November 23, 2009

Good Books to Read This Winter - Part 4


L'Abri
By Edith Schaeffer
1963

This book is the story of the work Francis and Edith Schaeffer and their children did in Switzerland after the close of WWII. Mrs. Schaeffer tells how they started L'Abri (French for 'shelter') to provide a shelter from the pressures of a relentlessly secular 20th century, and of the many people the Lord brought to them. The Schaffers reached out to the confused and disillusioned people of Europe and shared the gospel with them and helped them find satisfying answers to their questions. In the midst of hardships they persevered in prayer and God answered. I am always encouraged to pray more when I read this book!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A side note: When I was about 13 my mom and I went to a series of meeting on music the L'Abri people in Rochester MN were putting on. After one of her talks, Mrs. Schaeffer (who was probably in her 60s at the time) spent time speaking with people and autographing books. I always remember her kindness to me in taking the time to visit with me while she wrote her name and drew a picture in my autograph book. There were many people waiting to talk to her but she didn't rush. She treated each person as special and important! I've always treasured this memory of her and think of it whenever I see or hear her name. :)




~Alyssa

1 comment:

Melanie said...

How neat that Edith Schaeffer autographed the book for you! That would be so neat. I will have to find a copy of that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails