"Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety." Proverbs 11:14
We were talking about the above verse yesterday morning at breakfast and the importance of having good counselors. Then we got to thinking that all the good counsel in the world does no good if our ears and heart are not open to it. If we are full of pride and won't listen and consider what others are telling us, what does this say about us?
("...when the wise is instructed he receives knowledge." Proverbs 21:11b
"...fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7b)
There are many verses in Proverbs about the importance of listening to wise words from others, which makes me think that 1.) it must be really important, and 2.) it's something we need to work on since it's not a natural talent. I know for me it's usually pride and/or impatience that makes me not listen and accept instruction. I really want to be a person that others feel they can tell things to - a person who will be thankful for correction.
This always reminds me of some neighbors we had several years ago when we lived in Vermont. Their girls wanted to learn how to crochet. So we went over to their home and I showed them the basic stitches and got them started. What really impressed me was their willingness to accept correction. Whenever I would correct a mistake, or suggest a better way, they would always say a cheerful "Thank you" and then try and do it right, (which made teaching them a real joy). I had never had this happen before! It has stayed in my mind all these years, and I think I learned more from them than they did from me! The verse we read in Proverbs this morning brought this to mind again:
("Listen to counsel and receive instruction, that you may be wise in your latter days." Proverbs 19:20
"Apply your heart to instruction, and your ears to words of knowledge." Proverbs 23:12)"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." Proverbs 12:1
I want ears to hear!
~Alyssa
~Alyssa








No comments:
Post a Comment